Shrawan is considered to be the holiest month of the year in the Bikram Sambat (Nepali) calendar. It usually falls in the second half of July and the first half of August. The first day of Shrawan is known as Shrawan Sankranti and Monday is considered to be the very special day to worship Lord Shiva in this month.
Hindu women take fast especially on Monday of Shrawan month and offers different varieties and worship Lord Shiva in temples like Pashupatinath and Makhan Hanumandhoka in Kathmandu for the longer and healthier life of their husband.
The married women wear red attire (sari and kurta suruwal) and bangles mixed with green, red and yellow in this month. Even the young girls wear these varieties of bangles and pray to Lord Shiva to find the best husband.
In Shrawan month, you get to see colorful bangles and Mehndi, it’s temporary henna tattoo, in the hands of almost every Hindu woman. They show the love and affection especially towards the loved ones. It is believed these colors of bangles and Mehndi define love in the Shrawan month. This month brings loads of joy and happiness among family, sisters and friends to gather with each other and get prepared for the upcoming big festivals.
Learn more about the festivals celebrated in Nepal:
- Dashain and Tihar (Greatest festival of Nepalese)
- Saraswati Puja- The day for the deity of knowledge, art and music
- Maha Shivaratri- The Night of Lord Shiva
- What you need to know about Tihar?
- The Great Hindu Festival “Teej”
- Festival of Nepal- Indra Jatra
- Sonam Lhosar:The Festival of Tamang
- Tamu Lhosar: The greatest festival of Gurung
- Gai Jatra- A Nepali Festival
- Ghode Jatra-“The Horse Parade” festival of Nepal