October is in the middle of the autumn season. It is the perfect time to experience the Everest Base Camp Trek in October. The temperatures in both daytime and nighttime are moderate, suitable and offer clean weather all throughout Nepal this month.
October is also the end of monsoon season. And, because of the clean weather and perfect climatic conditions, Everest Base Camp Trek in October is just perfect. All those white snows, rugged landscapes and define mountains and awe-inspiring sceneries of Himalayan ranges welcomes you.
Nothing can be more desirable than deep blue sky over your head and the soft breeze of wind accompanying you throughout the journey.
Among many tourists who visit Nepal this month, trekking to Everest Base Camp is one of the most popular activities. Enthusiastic trekkers and hikers from all around the world visit Nepal to trek to Everest Base Camp for their lifetime experience and adventure.
Everest Base Camp Trek was already a popular destination for trekkers since the very first expedition and in the month of October, it is just the best time of venture the base of Everest.
Why Everest Base Camp Trek in October?
Here are some of the reasons on why you should trek Everest Base Camp in October.
Clear and amazing views
Since the month of October is in the middle of the autumn season and the end of monsoon season, travelers there can enjoy the blooming flowers, different color leaves and greenery with crystal clear weather. The month offers the clearest view due to the stable weather and the day being almost sunny with deep blue skies.
Due to the weather being crystal clear, the snow-capped mountains, lush green hills, waterfalls and rice fields are definitely the most significant view one can expect in their trek.
The views in October are surprising and most scenic in the whole year because of the clear weather. This is the reason why the month is the best month to trek in Nepal.
Mild and moderate temperatures
October is the best time to trek because of its moderate temperature and weather. Due to the temperature conditions in this months, you will not experience any of those chilling cold of snow and unlike in winter, you will also feel the warm sun rays of the sun during day time.
The temperature will be in the most favorable condition as you can trek in light clothes in the day time. The nights do get cold but less than the winter season. You don’t need any extra jackets or sleeping bags. Just some of the few warm backpacks will get you through the night.
The weather Everest Base Camp is quite unpredictable. The temperature and wind condition changes swiftly. However, the weather change is less frequent in October than in other months.
The average temperature during this month is 17 degrees C (62.6 Degrees F), with a maximum temp of 20 degrees C (68 Degrees F), during sunny days and a minimum of -15 degrees C (5 Degrees F), in the morning and at night, for areas above 4000 meters altitude.
To know about the temperatures of Everest Base Camp throughout the year, read our blog Weather & Temperature during Everest Base Camp Trek.
Gokyo valley will be the most attractive destination as it comes to life in this month. We can consider it as the most scenic valley in the Everest trekking region since it is an awesome valley surrounded by lots of snow-capped mountains which will take your breath away. On top of that, the mesmerizing Gokyo lakes are bound to awestruck you.
Greenery environment and vegetation
It is a well-known fact that Sagarmatha National Park is home to diverse alpine vegetation. While going through the park you will come across various lush trees as well as all various wonderful rhododendron with different colors.
Due to the monsoon season from the previous month, the whole Everest region gets the new life of vegetation in this month. The forest looks greener, dense and lovely. The clean and green surrounding will surely be one of the best highlights of the EBC trek in October.
Month of festivals
The two greatest and most celebrated festivals of Nepal, Dashain, and Tihar fall in this month. This means that people rejoice meeting their families and this creates a homely environment in the country.
Although there won’t be any grand celebration in the Everest region, you can enjoy those festivals fully in the Kathmandu area. So, when you are gearing up for your trek in both Kathmandu, Pokhara and any other big cities, you are bound to get the glorious religion and culture celebrated in Nepal in all its glory.
You can plan your trek accordingly and enjoy the festivals.
Less chance of the flight delay and cancellations
The clear and stable weather means lesser chances of flight cancellations and delays. You don’t need to wait longer for the regular flights. The flight will be operated normally without any troubles.
Difficulties during Everest Base Camp Trek in October
Some small difficulties during the trek in this months are:
- Since October is the most recommended month to trek, every tourist comes to trek in this month and there is a high chance of the place being overcrowded.
- Of course, the altitude will be a problem if you have never trekked in high regions. Please be prepared for that.
- Everest Base Camp trek is a rough trail. The trail may seem long and tedious to those who are not used to hike or travel long distances.
Packaging lists for October
Everest Base Camp is a cold place no matter the month. Because of the high altitude, snow and fast wind into the mix, it might get freezing cold. At night time the temperature in higher altitudes even reaches below freezing.
Although it is warm in daytime, it will surely get little bit chilly because of the cold breeze of the mountain at night. Also, weather forecast is not always right. Anything can happen in the base camp in any month of the year. Even there is a small chance of despite the monsoon being over.
Going there prepared on what you should wear is the best option. Here are some of the packaging lists for your trek in October
Note: Waterproof jackets, trousers, and boots are more preferable.
- Rain Jackets
- Trekking shirts
- Down Jackets
- Trekking trousers
- Trekking boots
- Trekking socks
- Hiking Gloves
- Light Sleeping Bag
- Trekking Poles
- Solar Torch
- Water purifiers
- Water bottles
Some Alternative Everest Region Treks in the Month of October
Here are some of the types of treks that you can do in this month. You can find the trek that is suitable for you in the list below.
- Explore the culturally rich World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu Valley
- Scenic mountain flights to and from Lukla
- Trekking in the famed Everest region
- Visiting Namche Bazaar, the capital of the Sherpas
- Magnificent helicopter ride to Everest Base Camp, Khumbu Glacier and Kalapatthar
- Watching the world’s highest Mt Everest
- Scenic flight to and from Lukla.
- Get acquainted with Sherpa culture of the Everest region.
- Visit Tengboche Monastery.
- Remarkable views of the Khumbu Icefall.
- Hike up to Kala Patthar (5,555m) & Nangkartshang Peak(5,083m).
- Trek to Everest Base Camp and Khumbu Glacier.
- Get close to the world’s highest mountain, Mount Everest(8,848m).
- No domestic flights to and from the Lukla Airport
- Follow Hillary and Tenzing’s footsteps the old way
- Ample time to get acclimatized to the thin air
- All meals included (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Experience diverse cultures all the way from the foothills to the high altitude
- Observing the Buddhist monastries
- Splendid views of the Khumbu Icefall
- Reaching the ultimate destination of Everest Base Camp
- Climbing Kala Patthar at the elevation of 5,555 m
- Guided sightseeing in the World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu
- Scenic flight to and from Lukla
- Get acquainted with the mountain people in the heart of Himalayas
- Visiting the Tengboche Monastery
- Impressive views of the Khumbu Icefall
- Everest Base Camp and walking on the Khumbu glacier
- Climbing Kala Patthar at the elevation of 5,555 m
- The world’s highest Mt Everest
- Summiting the Island Peak
- Explore the Historical cities; Kathmandu and Bhaktapur.
- Scenic flight to and from Lukla.
- Step inside and experience life as the “mountain people” live, in the heart of Himalayas.
- Everest Base Camp and walking on the Khumbu glacier.
- Encounter the turquoise water of Gokyo Lake.
- Hike up to Kala Patthar and Gokyo Ri, the astounding viewpoints in the Everest Region.
- Witness the remarkable views of super Gokyo valley, massive Ngozumpa glacier and incredible view of Khumbu Himalayas.
- Visit Tengboche Monastery – one of largest Buddhist Monasteries.
- Wonderful staying Experience in remote region.
- Cross the 3 beautiful high elevation passes- Kongma La Pass, Cho La Pass and Renjo La Pass of Everest Region.
Tips for trekking Everest Base Camp in October.
- The month of October is one of the the most preferred trekking period so the booking might get full very fast. Be sure to book in your trip
- Carrying of insect ointments and sprays will come in handy since you may find leeches from the previous monsoon season.
- Even though the weather is stable, there is a certain chances of raining. Pack your rain jacket, rain-fly or covers with you.
- Though winter approaches, you might feel the heat and get sweaty during the hike. Wear in layers and also pack light clothing.
To know about some more tips, you can visit our blog Tips to Improve Your Everest Base Camp Trekking Experience for the better experience while trekking.
It will make your trekking experience easier and safer.
Everest Base Camp is the foot of the world’s highest peak Mount Everest (8848 m). Many have dreamt of trekking to the place but only a few dares to take the challenge to meet their dream. So, if you are brave enough to fulfill that dream of yours, October might be the time to execute your plan.
Overall, Everest Base Camp Trek is great all year round, but the trek in October is quite different and special. You can experience a little bit of all the weather this season.
The whole trip can be a memorable experience. Come on, give it a try and add all those breathtaking mountain views, beautiful sceneries, clear view of floras and faunas into your memories.