Everest Base Camp trek in May has been a dream to many. It was, it is and it will still be a favorite trekking destination to almost all the travel enthusiasts out there. All those ice-falls, glaciers, stunning landscape and varieties of flora and fauna in Sagarmatha National Park had always baffled the visitors from all around the world.
Trek to Everest Base Camp is not an easy task. The region is full of challenging trails, unpredictable risk, massive mountains, dramatic scenery, and mesmerizing experience. The journey to the base camp is tougher than it seems. On the other hand, all the weathers of the different season make it more difficult and less exciting.
So, trekking there at the right time is a very crucial thing. It is important to understand the weather before planning your trek to Everest region.
There are few best months where you can trek to Everest Base Camp. But, here in this short blog, we are focusing on why Everest base camp trek in May might be the best time for you.
Why Everest Base Camp trek in May?
Well, we all know that too much cold means freezing nights and too much hot means lots of sweats and tiredness. If it rains too much then the clouds out there will block all the beautiful views and scenery. So, in this month of year, you won’t be having such problems.
Spring season is the season when the mountains come to life, the vegetation blossoms, Rhododendrons bloom, and all the animals come out of their hidings. The month of May is the last month of the glorious season so you wouldn’t want to miss the chance.
This month will offer you lots of breathtaking sunrises and sunset view over the Himalayas. Climate will be fair and the sky will be clear all day long which will make your trek more stunning and wonderful.
Everest Base Camp Weather and Temperatures in May
Spring happens to be one of the best times of the year to visit the Everest region, although because of this, it can become somewhat crowded. One can meet many other Everest climbers during this season and base camp is full of tents. The beautiful clear blue sky can be seen and the many different species of flower are visible in the lower altitude.
The May is the time to summit the Everest as well so, the weather in May at Everest Base Camp is ideal and for those who cannot bear too cold weather, the month of May is the best time to plan your Everest Base Camp Trek. The month of May is end of spring and end of May is start of summer in Nepal. It may start to rain a little, however the Everest Base camp trek in May is recommended among other months.
During springtime, the average temperature is 20 degrees C (68 Degrees F), with a maximum of 25 degrees C (77 Degrees F), during sunny days and a minimum of -15 degrees C (5 Degrees F), in the morning and at night for areas above 4000 meters.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in May
- Namche Bazaar and Khumbu Sherpa Capital.
- Adventurous Lukla Airport.
- Trekking to the base of the world’s highest mountain i.e. Mt. Everest.
- Hike to the Kala Patthar, one of the best vantage points to get the close-up view of Mt. Everest.
- Stunning views of other peaks including Mt. Lhotse, Mt. Nuptse, Mt. Makalu, Mt. Ama Dablam, and Mt. Cho Oyu.
- Walk through Sagarmatha National Park and witness a wide range of flora and fauna.
- Visit Tengboche Monastery, the largest monasteries in Khumbu region.
- Explore different authentic Sherpa villages like Tengboche, Dingboche, Lobuche, Pheriche, and Gorak Shep.
- Get to know about the traditional and culture and lifestyle of the local Sherpa people.
Advantages of Everest Base Camp trek in May
Here are some of the advantages of Everest base camp trek in May.
- You can see the glorious view of the mountains clearly.
- The area is covered with full lush green vegetation and the Rhododendrons bloom in this time of the year.
- You can learn and observe the true cultures of the people living in this region.
- View of various beautiful mountain pass can be seen in this month due to clear weather
- The weather is perfect for the good and clear scenic views all over the mountain from the flight.
- The days are longer so you can take your trekking slowly by enjoying all the views.
- The places are crowded with people of all around the world so you will have many chances to meet new and different types of people.
Other popular EBC Trek in May
Here are lists of our most popular Everest base camp trek in May.
- Everest Base Camp Heli Trek – 9 Days
- EBC Trek with Heli Flight from Gorakshep – 12 Days
- Everest Base Camp Trek – 13 Days
- Everest Base Camp Trek – 14 Days
- Everest Base Camp Trek – 16 Days
- Classic Everest Base Camp Trek – 18 Days
- Gokyo to Everest Base Camp Trek – 19 Days
- Everest Base Camp with Island Peak – 21 Days
- Everest High Passes Trek – 22 Days
- Everest High Passes and Island Peak – 25 Days
- Classical Everest Base Camp Trek – 23 Days
Some Tips for EBC trek in May
As the day time in May is warm, you might be hot after walking for hours. Take a water bottle with you and drink frequently. You should drink plenty of water while trekking to keep yourself hydrated throughout your trip.
Please take a note that the minimum liters of water that you need to drink while trekking is 3 liters but if you are under any sort of high altitude medication you need to drink at least 4 liters a day.
Clothing is very important while trekking to the Everest region. Never forget that the weather in the mountain is very unpredictable. Since its warm in day time, shirts and shorts would be fine in lower altitudes. If it’s cold, wearing a good amount of clothes will help you stay warm and regulate your body temperature. If you were layering with your clothes, then it would be easier.
Take rest as much as possible
Even walking for a short amount of time in the trials might be tiresome. So, getting a good amount of rest for your body is very important. Slowing down and taking your time will help you throughout your trek. The idea to finish it faster is never good, as you should not forget; you need to save your energy for the toughest part. Therefore slower you walk, the better it is.