- Trip Code: ATH314
- Best Season: March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November
- Country Visited: Nepal
- Trip Start: Kathmandu
- Trip Ends: Kathmandu
- Trip Route: KTM-Nepalganj-Juphal-Phoksundo Lake-Kang La, Saldang La, Jeng La pass- Tarakot-Juphal-KTM
- Trip Style: Tented Camp Trek
- Activity: Sightseeing and High Altitude Trekking
- Max. Altitude:
5,360 m /17580.8 ft
- Group Size: Min. 2 pax pax
- Activity Per Day: Approximately 5-7 hrs walking per day
- Trip Category: Remote Area Trek
- Kathmandu city tour
- Scenic flight to and from Nepalgunj/Juphal
- Shey Phoksundo Lake and National Park
- Crossing passes of Kang La, Saldang La and Jeng La
- Shey Gompa- the Buddhist monasteries
- Pristine mountains, Flora & Fauna, unique culture
Dolpo, a land beyond the Himalayas, conjures up visions of mysterious monasteries, snow leopards and blue sheep. It is situated in the western part of the country, and is one of the most remote regions in Nepal.
The Dolpo region is a very isolated area which has been strictly off-limits until only recently, so the traditions and way of life have remained intact. In the autumn of 1990 the first British tour operator organized a trek from east to west, from Pokhara to Jumla through Lower Dolpo.
This trekking route passed many gigantic mountain ranges - Annapurna , Dhaulagiri and Kanjiroba, to name but a few - and passed through Lower Dolpo , at one time a small kingdom in its own right. The trekkers of this regions are enthused greatly about the wild remoteness, the stunning mountain scenery and the fact that the local people had that innocent friendliness peculiar to people who live in excessively remote mountainous regions.
The people that live here number only a few hundred and are among the world's highest dwellers. The villages in Upper Dolpo are 4,300meters and above. It is here specifically that people still practice the pre-Buddhist Bon Po religion. This early sect was almost entirely replaced after Buddhist doctrine began to spread across Tibet in the 9th century.
Peter Matthiessen's "The Snow Leopard" and David Snellgrove's "Himalayan Pilgrimage" have contributed to the mystique and attraction of Dolpo. Both writers visited the Shey Gompa, to the north of the Phoksumdo Lake, inner Dolpo. This is the goal of most trekkers but this Dolpo trek will take you even further into this mysterious land.
- Day 01 - Arrival at the Tribuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (1,345m). Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 02 - Pre-trip meeting and sightseeing around the Kathmandu valley. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 03 - Fly to Nepalganj from Kathmandu-1 hr flight . Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 04 - 35 minutes flight to Juphal (2,400m). Trek to Dunai (2,150m) - 3 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 05 - Trek to Ankhe (2,660m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 06 - Trek to Renje (3,104m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 07 - Trek to Phoksundo Lake (3,600m) - 6.5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 08 - Trek to Phoksundo Khola (3,507m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 09 - Trek to Phoksundo Bhanjyang (4,402m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 10 - Cross the Kang La pass (5,151m) and trek to Shey Gompa (4,126m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 11 - Rest and exploration day at Shey Gompa. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 12 - Cross the Saldang La pass (4,785m), and then trek to Namduna Gaon (4,400m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 13 - Trek to Saldang (3,903m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 14 - Trek to Sibu (3,942m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 15 - Trek to foot of the Jeng La (4,369m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 16 - Cross the Jeng La pass (4,845m), trek to Tokyu Gaon (4,240m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 17 - Trek to Dho Tarap (4,090m) - 4.5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 18 - Trek to Serkam (3,630m) - 6.5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 19 - Trek to Khani Gaon (2,550m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 20 - Trek to Tarakot (2,281m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 21 - Trek to Dunai (2,052m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps
- Day 22 - Trek to Juphal (2,404m) - 3 hrs. Overnight at tented camps .
- Day 23 - Fly to Kathmandu via Nepaljung- Total 1 hr and 35 minutes flight . Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 24 - Leisure day and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 25 - Transfer to the international airport for your final departure.
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
NOTE: During the trip; weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors, that are beyond our control can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary the leader will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where a change does occur, we do everything we can to minimize its effect, but we cannot be responsible for the results of changes or delays.
Flight Delay in Nepalgunj-Jhupal-Nepalgunj
Twin Otter is the primary mode of transport to from the airstrip of Nepalgunj to Juphal and Juphal to Nepalgunj. This service is fairly dependable. Sometimes, flights may be cancelled due to weather conditions or other technical problems. In such case, there is no any alternative transportation service available. Please make sure you have minimum three spare days after the trek to ensure you are on schedule for your international flight.
The helicopter flight can be organize from Juphal to Kathmandu but the cost of the helicopter is very expansive in such remote area and Juphal is too far from Kathmandu.