- Trip Code: ATH312
- Best Season: March to May; October and November
- Country Visited: Nepal
- Trip Route: KTM-Taplejung-Ramche-Yalung Ri Base Camp-Mirgin La-Ghunsa-Pang Pema-Kanchenjunga Base Camp-Suketar-KTM
- Trip Style: Tented Camp Trek
- Activity: Sightseeing and High Altitude Trekking
- Max. Altitude:
5,525 m /18122 ft
- Group Size: Min. 2 pax pax
- Activity Per Day: Approximately 4-6 hrs walking per day
- Trip Category: Remote Area Trek
- Kathmandu city tour
- Scenic flight from Kathmandu - Taplejung - Kathmandu
- Explore the Kanchenjunga Base Camp
- Expolre Yalung Ri Base Camp
- Magnificent views of Mt. Everest, Makalu and Kanchenjunga
- Crossing the pass over Mirgin La
- Diverse flora and fauna and rich local culture
- The native Nepali communities such as Sherpa, Limbu, Rai and Gurung
"Kang-chen-zod-nga", means "Five Great Treasuries of the Snow", but in fact it has seven major summits. To the locals Kanchenjunga which stands at a height of 8,585m the third highest mountain in the world, is the abode of gods who bestow prosperity and goodwill on them and their lands, while to the climbers of this mountain the phrase "Five Great Treasuries of the Snow" takes on a slightly more ominous tone. The avalanches at Kanchenjunga are said to be the largest anywhere!
Since the locals worship the mountain, there is a tradition among mountaineers not to stand on the actual summit. All successful climbs have stopped just short of the summit honouring an old promise made by the leader of the first successful attempt in 1955 to the Maharaja of Sikkim.
Kanchenjunga lies on the eastern border of Nepal providing a great chance to experience remoteness, spectacular mountain scenery, diverse flora and fauna and rich local culture, quite different to those found further west.
We begin the journey to Kanchenjunga with a flight from Kathmandu to Taplejung (Suketar). From Suketar the trek leads to Chauki through the villages of Mitlung, Ghunsa, Khambachen and Lhonak to Pangpema (5,140m) which is also the base camp for expeditions attempting the North Face of Kanchenjunga II and the culmination of the first part of the trek.
- Day 01 - Arrival at the Tribuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (1,345m). Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 02 - Pre-trip meeting and sightseeing around the Kathmandu valley. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 03 - Fly from Kathmandu to Biratnagar - 40 mins, transfer to guesthouse. Overnight at guesthouse.
- Day 04 - Early morning flight to Taplejung (2,320m) - 30 mins. Trek to Lali Kharka (2,276m) - 3 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 05 - Trek to Khesewa (2,120m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 06 - Trek to Mamankhe (1,920m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 07 - Trek to Yamphudin (2,080m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 08 - Trek to Chitre (2,965m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 09 - Trek to Tortongn (3,010m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 10 - Trek to Tseram (3,870m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 11 - Trek to Ramche (4,580m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camp.
- Day 12 - Explore around Ramche (4,580m) and trek to Oktang (4,730m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 13 - Trek to Yalung Ri Base Camp (5,400m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 14 - Trek back to Ramche (4,580m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 15 - Trek to Sallerle over the Mirgin La (4,480m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 16 - Trek to Ghunsa (3,475m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 17 - Trek to Kambachen (4,040m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 18 - Exploration day at Kambachen. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 19 - Trek to Lhonak (4,790m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 20 - Trek to Pang Pema (5,140m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 21 - Explore around the Kanchenjunga Base Camp (5,100m) and retrace your steps to Kambachen - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 22 - Trek to Ghunsa - 6 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 23 - Trek to Amjilosa (2,460m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 24 - Trek to Sakathum (1,600m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 25 - Trek to Chhiruwa (1,200m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 26 - Trek to Suketar (2,420m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at tented camps.
- Day 27 - Fly back to Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 28 - Leisure day and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 29 - Transfer to the international airport for your final departure.
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
NOTE: During the trip; weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors, that are beyond our control can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary the leader will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where a change does occur, we do everything we can to minimize its effect, but we cannot be responsible for the results of changes or delays.
Flight Delay in Taplejung (Suketar)
Twin Otter is the primary mode of transport to and from the airstrip of Taplejung. This service is fairly dependable. Sometimes, flights may be cancelled due to mountain weather conditions or other technical problems. In such case, Ace the Himalaya will organize the alternative available road transportation(Local Bus) to ensure you are on schedule for your international flight.
The expense of the road transport will be managed from the reimbursement received from the flight ticket after the deduction of cancelation charge. So please note that there will be no refund of the flight, if the alternative road transportation is consolidated.