- Trip Code: ATH307
- Best Season: February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November, December
- Country Visited: Nepal
- Trip Start: Kathmandu
- Trip Ends: Kathmandu
- Destination: Gokyo Ri, Cho la pass, Everest base camp and Kala Patthar
- Trip Route: Jiri-Junbeshi-Puiyan-Namche Bazar-Phortse-Thanga-Gokyo Ri-Cho la Pass-EBC-Kala Pattar-Namche Bazar-Lukla
- Trip Style: Lodge to Lodge Trekking
- Activity: Sightseeing and High Altitude Trekking
- Max. Altitude:
5,555 m /18220.4 ft
- Activity Per Day: Approximately 5 hrs walking per day
- Trip Category: Everest Region
- Kathmandu city tour
- Following Hillary and Tenzing’s footprints
- Crossing pass over Lamjura
- Experience Sherpa culture and life style as mountain people in the heart of the Himalaya
- Side trip around Namche Bazar
- Visiting Gokyo Lake and valley
- Amazing views of the Himalaya including Mt. Everest, Cho Oyu and Makalu
- Crossing over the Chola Pass at 5,300m
- Impressive views of Khumbu Ice fall & Ngozumpa Glacier
- Climbing up to Gokyo peak and Kalapattar
- Walking on Everest Base Camp and the Khumbu glacier
- Visiting Tengboche Monastery
- Scenic flight from Lukla to Kathmandu
Jiri to Everest Base Camp and Kala Patthar is a highly praised trekking route of the Everest region. It was in 1953 when two renown figures Sir Edmund Hillary and Mr. Tenzing Nogey Sherpa had taken the same route for the Mt. Everest expedition.
After an eight hour scenic drive from Kathmandu to Jiri, our trek starts the following morning, by passing through the lower parts of Everest region that are relatively undeveloped compared to the northern side of the district around Namche Bazaar. This enables trekkers to experience many traditional aspects of culture and local people. The trail passes through numerous villages of different ethnic groups including Tamang, Jirel, Rai, Brahmin, Chettri and of course the Sherpa’s. Walking along this trek involves many ups and down hills with the trail being well serviced with tea houses and good campsites in most of the villages.
Being a combination of two treks that passed from Namche Bazaar, the main trading village of the Khumbu area continuing via Gokyo valley, Chola pass, Lobuche, Everest Base Camp and up to Kalapattar then back down to Tengboche monastery and all the way to Lukla.
- Day 01 - Arrival at the Tribuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (1,345m).Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 02 - Pre-trip meeting and sightseeing around the Kathmandu valley. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 03 - Drive to Jiri (187 km) by local Bus - 8 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 04 - Trek to Bhandar (2,200m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 05 - Trek to Sete (2,645 m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 06 - Trek to Junbensi (2,675m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 07 - Trek to Nunthala (2,440m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 08 - Trek to Kharikhola (2,020m) -5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 09 - Trek to Puiyan (2,700m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 10 - Trek to Phakding (2,646m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 11 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 12 - Namche Bazaar acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 13 - Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 14 - Trek to Machherma (4,470m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 15 - Trek to Gokyo (4,790m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 16 - Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483m) and back to Gokyo - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 17 - Trek to Thangna (4,500m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 18 - Cross the Cho La Pass (5,300m), then trek to Dzongla (4,710 m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 19 - Trek to Lobuche (4,910m ) - 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 20 - Trek to Everest Base Camp (5,365m) then back to Gorak Shep - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 21 - Hike up to Kala Patthar (5,555m) early in the morning and trek down to Periche (4,200m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a Guesthouse.
- Day 22 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 23 - Trek to Lukla (2,804m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 24 - Morning flight back to Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 25 - Leisure day and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 26 - Transfer for your final flight departure
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
NOTE: During the trip; weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors, that are beyond our control can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary the leader will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where a change does occur, we do everything we can to minimize its effect, but we cannot be responsible for the results of changes or delays.
Flight Delay in Lukla
Twin Otter is the primary mode of transport from the airstrip at Lukla. This service is fairly dependable. Sometimes, flights may be cancelled due to mountain weather conditions or technical problems. In such case, Ace the Himalaya will charter a helicopter to ensure you are on schedule for your international flight. The helicopter can fly if the visibility is 1500m, while the twin otter can fly if the visibility is 5000m, as per Nepal’s Civil Aviation rules.
The cost of the helicopter is payable directly to our Kathmandu office in the event that this service is utilized. US cash, traveler's cheques, or credit cards (Visa Cards, Master Cards only) are accepted. You will be given a receipt upon payment so that you may claim the amount from your travel insurance. The minimum cost will be US$1000 and maximum US$3500 depending on the number of group members.