- Trip Code: ATH306
- Best Season: February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November, December
- Country Visited: Nepal
- Trip Start: Kathmandu
- Trip Ends: Kathmandu
- Destination: Gokyo-Ri and Gokyo Lake
- Trip Route: Lukla-Namche Bazar-Phorste Thanga-Gokyo Ri-Dole-Khumjung Valley-Namche-Lukla
- Trip Style: Lodge to Lodge Trekking
- Activity: Sightseeing and High Altitude Trekking
- Max. Altitude:
5,483 m /17984.24 ft
- Activity Per Day: Approximately 4-6 hrs walking per day
- Trip Category: Everest Region
- Kathmandu city tour
- Scenic flight to and from Lukla
- Step inside and experience life as the “mountain people” live, in the heart of Himalaya
- Visiting Gokyo Lake and valley
- Amazing views of the Himalaya from Gokyo Ri including Mt. Everest, Cho Oyu and Makalu
- Impressive Ngozumpa Glacier
Trekking around Gokyo valley is considered a traditional trek that offers magnificent views of the mountain peaks and the Ngozumpa Glacier- the largest in Nepal's Himalayas. The image of this region is associated with the soaring views of the most popular mountains in Nepal, at an altitude of 8,000m such as Cho Oyu, Everest, Lhotse and Makalu which are clearly visible from Gokyo Ri above Gokyo Lake. One of the most remarkable features is the views of the tremendous ice ridge between Cho Oyu and Gyachung (2,922m) located in Khumbu region.
After a thirty five minute flight from Kathmandu landing at Lukla’s tiny airstrip, the adventure really begins. We spend the next few days trekking and interacting amongst the mountain people also known as Sherpa’s, we stay at local lodges and trek into the heartland of their villages. Everything is organized in conjunction with local Sherpa guides. Along the trek we will pass Buddhist monasteries with the views of Everest and other snow towering mountains getting closer by the day. We will have rest days in the villages of Namche bazaar that will allow us to explore the region and acclimatize, which is very important. After trekking to Gokyo Ri (5,483m), we return at a leisurely pace back to Namche and Lukla for our flight back to Kathmandu.
- Day 01 - Arrival at the Tribuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (1,345m). Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 02 - Pre-trip meeting and sightseeing around the Kathmandu valley. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 03 - Fly to Lukla (2,804m) - 35 mins. Trek to Phakding (2,610m) - 3 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 04 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 05 - Namche Bazaar acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 06 - Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 07 - Trek to Machherma (4,470m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 08 - Trek to Gokyo (4,790m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 09 - Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483m) and back to Gokyo - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 10 - Trek to Dole (4,200m ) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 11- Trek to Namche Bazaar via Khumjung village (3,780m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 12 - Trek to Lukla (2,804m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 13 - Morning flight back to Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 14 - Leisure day and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 15 - Transfer for your final flight departure.
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
NOTE: During the trip; weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors, that are beyond our control can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary the leader will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where a change does occur, we do everything we can to minimize its effect, but we cannot be responsible for the results of changes or delays.
Flight Delay in Kathmandu and Lukla
Twin Otter is the primary mode of transport to and from the airstrip at Lukla. This service is fairly dependable. Sometimes, flights (to and from Lukla) may be cancelled due to mountain weather conditions or technical problems. In such case, Ace the Himalaya will charter a helicopter to ensure you are on schedule for your international flight. The helicopter can fly if the visibility is 1500m, while the twin otter can fly if the visibility is 5000m, as per Nepal’s Civil Aviation rules.
The cost of the helicopter is payable directly to our Kathmandu office in the event that this service is utilized. US cash, traveler's cheques, or credit cards (Visa Cards, Master Cards only) are accepted. You will be given a receipt upon payment so that you may claim the amount from your travel insurance. The minimum cost will be US$1000 and maximum US$3500 depending on the number of group members.