- Trip Code: ATH305
- Best Season: February, March, April, May, June, July, September, October, November & December.
- Country Visited: Nepal
- Trip Start: Kathmandu
- Trip Ends: Kathmandu
- Destination: Everest and Island Peak
- Trip Route: Lukla-Namche Bazar-Machherma-Gokyo Ri-Cho la Pass-EBC-Lobuche-Kongma la pass-Island Peak-Namche Bazar-Lukla
- Trip Style: Lodge to Lodge Trekking and Tented camp Stay at Island Peak Base Camp
- Activity: Sightseeing and High Altitude Trekking, Climbing involve with Rope and Ice Axe
- Max. Altitude:
6,187 m /20293.36 ft
- Group Size: Min. 1 pax
- Activity Per Day: Approximately 4-6 hr walking, minimum 12 hrs walking on the climbing day
- Trip Category: Everest Region
- Exploring the temples, shrines, bazaars and restaurants of Kathmandu
- Scenic flight to and from Lukla
- Step inside and experience life as the “mountain people” live, in the heart of Himalaya
- Visiting Gokyo Lake, valley, Climbing Gokyo Ri
- Crossing over the Chola Pass at 5,300m
- Impressive views of Khumbu Ice fall
- Everest Base Camp, walking on the Khumbu glacier, Climbing Kalapatthar
- Crossing Kongma La pass
- Attempting Island Peak
- Visiting Tengboche Monastery
After exploring the temples, shrines, bazaars and restaurants of Kathmandu we take an exciting mountain flight to Lukla and trek up the Dudh Kosi Valley, surrounded by the soaring peaks of Thamserku and Kusum Kanguru. It’s a steep ascent to Namche Bazaar, capital of the Kumbu Sherpas, where we are again greeted by spectacular mountain vistas. A rest day here aids acclimatization and there are great optional walks to enjoy the area. We then trek into Gokyo Valley and ascend gradually, to ensure proper acclimatization, walking beside the moraines of Ngozumpa Glacier and turquoise lakes to reach Gokyo. From here we can climb Gokyo Ri to view of all of the region’s 8,000m peaks including Everest, Lhotse, Makalu and Cho Oyu – a breathtaking panorama. Our trek then heads via Cho La Pass (5,300m) to Lobuche, where we follow Khumbu Glacier to Gorak Shep. From here we ascend KalaPatthar (5,555m) where we experience another breathtaking panorama of Everest and her surrounding peaks. We also visit the historical site of Everest Base Camp. Now well acclimatized, we cross Kongma La (5,535meters) to Chukkung, to make our attempt on Island Peak. Though technically harder than Mera Peak, this expedition is also well within the reach of anyone seeking their first Himalayan summit.
If you are looking for shorter trip to Island Peak then our 21 days Everest Base Camp and Island Peak or only 17 days Island Peak Adventure is option for you.
After summiting Island Peak, we return at our leisurely pace back to Namche and Lukla for our return flight to Kathmandu.
- Day 01 - Arrival at the Tribuwan International Airport in Kathmandu (1,345m).Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 02 - Pre-trip meeting and sightseeing around the Kathmandu valley. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 03 - Fly to Lukla (2,804m). Trek to Phakding (2,610m) - 3 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 04 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 05 - Namche Bazaar acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 06 - Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 07 - Trek to Machherma (4,470m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 08 - Trek to Gokyo (4,790m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 09 - Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483m) and back to Gokyo - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 10 - Trek to Thangna (4,500m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 11 - Cross Cho La pass (5,300m) then trek to Dzongla (4,710m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 12 - Trek to Lobuche (4,910m ) - 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 13 - Trek to Gorak Shep (5,180m) then hike up to Kalapatthar (5,555m) back to Gorak Shep - 7 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 14 - Trek to the Everest Base Camp (5,365m) then back to Lobuche (4,910m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 15 - Cross the Kongma La pass (5,535m) and trek to Chukkung (4,710m ) - 8 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 16 - Trek to Island Peak Base Camp (5,240 m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at tented camp.
- Day 17 - Rest and acclimatization day. Overnight at tented camp.
- Day 18 & 19 - Reach the summit of the Island peak (6,187m) and return to Chhukung (4,750m). Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 20 - Trek to Tengboche (3,860m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 21 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) via Khumjung (2,780 m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 22 - Trek to Lukla (2,804m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 23 - Morning flight back to Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 24 - Leisure day and farewell dinner in Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 25 - Transfer to the international airport for your final flight departure.
The above information is a guide and standard template of what we provide. Our trip can be customized at your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
NOTE: During the trip; weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors, that are beyond our control can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary the leader will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where a change does occur, we do everything we can to minimize its effect, but we cannot be responsible for the results of changes or delays.
Flight Delay in Kathmandu and Lukla
Twin Otter is the primary mode of transport to and from the airstrip at Lukla. This service is fairly dependable. Sometimes, flights (to and from Lukla) may be cancelled due to mountain weather conditions or technical problems. In such case, Ace the Himalaya will charter a helicopter to ensure you are on schedule for your international flight. The helicopter can fly if the visibility is 1500m, while the twin otter can fly if the visibility is 5000m, as per Nepal’s Civil Aviation rules.
The cost of the helicopter is payable directly to our Kathmandu office in the event that this service is utilized. US cash, traveler's cheques, or credit cards (Visa Cards, Master Cards only) are accepted. You will be given a receipt upon payment so that you may claim the amount from your travel insurance. The minimum cost will be US$1000 and maximum US$3500 depending on the number of group members.